Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thoughts on The Shack.

This post is coming straight out of my report for a class.
I am currently reading The Shack and it is just blowing my mind away.
It is such a good book and I recommend it to everyone.
This was just my thoughts on a few of the pieces from the book.
Imagine and enjoy.

“Consider our little friend here,” she began. “Most birds were created to fly. Being grounded for them is a limitation within their ability to fly, not the other way around.” She paused to let Mack think about her statement. “You, on the other hand, were created to be loved. So for you to live as if you were unloved is a limitation, not the other way around.” ---- “Living unloved is like clipping a bird’s wings and removing its ability to fly. Not something I want for you.” (pg. 97)

This little dialogue between Papa and Mack explains a lot to me. We were made to be loved and when we don’t allow God to love us and people to love us, then we are losing our ability. Our characteristic and our best talent goes down the drain. Just like if you clip a bird’s wings, when we don’t allow God to love us, we’re not flying, we’re not what we call, human.

“The problem is that many folks try to grasp some sense of who I am by taking the best version of themselves, projecting that to the nth degree, factoring in all the goodness they can perceive which often isn’t much, and then call that God. And while it may seem like a noble effort, the truth is that it falls pitifully short of who I really am. I’m not merely the best version of you that you can think of. I am far more than that, above and beyond all that you can ask or think.” (pg. 98)

This part is so true. So many times, we as mere humans think that we can explain God and know God fully. We draw up this image in our heads and put the best qualities that we can think of, but God is not one to be grasped. Our finite minds do not have a glimpse of the glory of God. We don’t even understand the simplest things of God because God is so grand and that’s the amazing part. God is far beyond our comprehension and human minds, and we need to realize, who made who.

“Who wants to worship a God who can be fully comprehended, eh? Not much mystery in that.”(pg. 101)

Really, who would want to worship someone that they know fully about? That would make it like worshipping your best friend that you’ve been down with since you were babies. For me, it would be worshipping my best friend Ben and that just doesn’t seem right to me. There is a sense of awe and excitement to not knowing God fully. It would honestly be really weird if God knew me fully because then I would not feel like God is even really worthy to be worshipped because I would be somewhat at his level since I knew everything about Him. The mystery is what keeps me clinging on to Him and find out more about Him throughout my lifetime.

“Love and relationship. All love and relationship is possible for you only because it already exists within Me, within God myself. Love is not the limitation; love is the flying. I am love.”(pg. 101)

Love within the Trinity itself is the reason we even know what love is and the reason why we could even feel it. This helps me to understand why God is love and how the Trinity works within themselves. This is great because love does not just appear out of nowhere and God doesn’t just command us to love one another and Him, but He himself does the very thing and He is the very thing! There is love within the fellowship of the Trinity and that explains why God is so for love and goes so in detail about it in Scripture. Love is what binds us together and we were purposed for love because God is one that shares in that love. It’s an awesome feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment